My Vegan Thoughts On Pets

 My Vegan Thoughts On Pets

By: Megan

       There are many different ideas on pets and veganism. Is it ethical to have pets? And if I do have pets should I make them vegan? These are questions I have thought about for a while. At first, I thought having a non-vegan animal would be irresponsible. When I had dogs and fed them regular dog food, I did not have to actually think about the meat since I did not see it. I always said I would never get a cat for that reason. A year later I rescued 4-week old kittens. I quickly fell in love with them, as I do with most animals. It changed my opinion on a lot of topics. 

Ethics 

    I think we first need to answer the question: is it ethical to have pets? I think it is important to first discuss that ownership of anything can create toxic relationships. I do not own animals. I own inanimate objects, but not living beings. I simply take care of animals that are under my responsibility. Secondly, I think it is important to discuss how these animals are put into our care. These days a lot of people will purchase animals from breeders or pet shops. While that may be a great option for them, it directly supports unethical living conditions. Most pet shops put these animals in small cages and are not given proper care. A lot of these animals will die as a result. The most common victims are Betta fish which are put into a small container where there is no temperature regulation. They become stressed and often die. Another reality of buying from pet shops is puppy mills. These are places where puppies are mass-produced and live in horrific conditions. 90% of the puppies in pet shops are from puppy mills. People feel sympathetic for these animals and buy them thinking they are doing good by saving them. In reality, they are supporting and funding the industry. This means the industry will never stop because they are making money. The best thing we can do is to stop purchasing from pet shops. 

Forcing Veganism?

    The next question we need to analyze is should we make our pets vegan? The answer depends on a few different things. First, we need to consider their needs. There are three types of animals: carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores. Herbivores are already vegan as they should be. Herbivores are unable to process other animals' flesh, so it would be irresponsible to give it to them. Carnivores can only take nutrients and energy from eating other animals, so giving them a diet of only plants would be irresponsible and unethical. The gray area lies when the animal is an omnivore. Omnivores are able to extract energy and nutrients from both animals' flesh and plants. Omnivores are animals such as pigs, dogs, and bears. Because of their versatility, they are able to survive and thrive on herbivore diets as well as carnivore diets, however, most omnivores have a mixed diet. The next thing we have to consider is what is the kindest thing to do? I believe the kindest thing to do in this situation is when possible feed the omnivorous animal a plant-based diet. I emphasize the "when possible." By saying that, I mean if the animal can healthily live a plant-based diet then it should. Obviously, there are going to be instances where it might not be healthy for the animal, and health for survival is always the number one priority for any animal. However, there are many omnivorous animals that could benefit from a plant-based diet. Now I am not saying to go make a wild bear vegan. I am simply saying that it would be the best thing to do if we let our omnivorous pets be vegan. Not to mention, the non-vegan pet foods are filled with terrible chemicals, and words we don't even know the meaning to. I recommend that everyone look at truthaboutpetfood.com in order to become more aware of what is dog food, and I will include links at the bottom of this post. 

 Final Thoughts

    I believe that if you want a companion or to give an animal a home, getting them from local shelters and rescues would be the best option. There are rescues for all types of animals that allow adoptions such as reptiles. I believe that if the animal is carnivorous it should be fed a carnivorous diet. If the animal is omnivorous it should be fed a plant-based diet unless medical treatment requires otherwise. I also think any decision should be made with your veterinarian and they can help find suitable plant-based foods for your animal. 

Websites Providing More Information On This Topic

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/horrifying-laboratory-animals-rendered-into-pet-food/
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/
https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2016/07/vegan-dogs-a-healthy-lifestyle-or-going-against-nature/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegan Snacks Part 3: Cookies

My Deal With Clearance

Vegan at Restaurants Part 1: IHOP