Being Vegan With No Vegan Friends

 Being Vegan With No Vegan Friends

By: Megan

      Like most new adventures, veganism is difficult when doing it alone. One of the most difficult times of my life was being a new vegan. I live in a small town where hunting and fishing are what is considered normal. Many people have farms where they raise animals for slaughter. So saying I was vegan was very controversial for a lot of people around me. I only told my friends and tried to avoid telling others out of fear of starting an argument or worse. Eventually, I eased up on this my senior year of high school because I did not really care about reactions anymore and I was certain of my decision. However, I had never personally been friends with another vegan. And then the story changes. After being vegan for almost 3 years, I finally have a vegan friend. I met someone who is going to the same college as me and is vegan. I am sure there are many other vegans that I am going to meet. It is a weird feeling because it feels almost too good to be true. No one can truly relate to me on a deeper level besides another vegan. My whole life revolves around my choice of veganism, and many people do not understand even the mentality that I have. It feels good to have someone who understands my choice and I do not feel like I have to explain anything they just get it. It is also super exciting because I will have someone to share food and vegan conversations with. 
I asked my new friend what being vegan without vegan friends was like for them and this is the response.
"Being vegan with no vegan friends means you never really have someone to relate to that understands your outlook on the world. Veganism truly is a lifestyle and extends beyond simply what you eat. It is something I am passionate about and that I believe makes a difference in the world, and it’s hard to know that a large amount of people, including some of the ones closest to you, see it as frivolous. Some of my friends are open to trying vegan alternatives, but others are convinced that nothing vegan can ever taste the same. While admittedly some substitutes do not taste identical, there are many foods where a simple swap for vegan butter or milk can create a vegan alternative where the difference is unnoticeable. I hope to one day be surrounded by people that truly have an appreciation for this lifestyle choice and what it means to me, and that even share it themselves."
Even though we have friends who understand veganism, it truly is not the same as knowing someone who is living it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegan Snacks Part 3: Cookies

My Deal With Clearance

Vegan at Restaurants Part 1: IHOP