Responding to Vegan Myths Part 1

Responding to Vegan Myths Part 1

By: Megan

     Vegan myths are very popular amongst the non-vegan community and are often used to "debunk" veganism or give an excuse for why they cannot go vegan. One popular and very common myth is that dairy is essential for bones to be strong. This is because of the calcium in it and calcium is responsible for bone growth and preventing osteoporosis. However, dairy is not the only thing with a surplus of calcium in it. Kale, broccoli, soy milk, and fortified vegan cereals also have calcium in them. Tofu is a huge source of calcium for vegans because it has roughly 868 milligrams of calcium per cup whereas cow's milk has only 305 milligrams of calcium per cup. There are even a ton of vegan supplemental vitamins that one can take to help get their daily intake of calcium. There are also many different apps in which one could use to track their micronutrients and macronutrients to make sure they are within their goals for the day. One of my favorites is Chronometer. It tracks everything including vitamins and minerals. I like it so much because the daily goals are based on the individual's height and weight instead of giving an estimated number for a group of people. It is very easy to use and I liked how I could scan a barcode of my foods to find the item instead of having to search for it. My Fitness Pal is also a great app to use. It does not have as many nutrients to track as Chronometer, but it has an option to add recipes directly from online by using a URL or recipes can be manually inputted. Apple iPhone users can also use the health app and can sync My Fitness Pal to it as well. Currently, I am using My Fitness Pal simply because it can track everything from food to exercise, but as a new vegan Chronometer was very helpful because it helped me to see exactly how much I should be eating and gave me a better idea of what I should be eating and what gave me the most nutrients. Along with eating enough calcium, it is important to maintain a healthy weight and exercise consistently to promote strong, healthy bones. Being underweight increases the risk of diseases such as osteoporosis and osteopenia. It is important to note that being vegan does not cause weak bones any more than being an omnivore does. It is more about being healthy and eating the right foods and not about a specific diet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegan Snacks Part 3: Cookies

My Deal With Clearance

Vegan at Restaurants Part 1: IHOP