Vegan Jerky

Vegan Jerky

By: Megan 

     Recently, I have discovered there are a ton of different types of vegan jerky. I have never had any type of jerky, even before I was vegan. However, I have wanted to try it for a while now, but it is very expensive in my opinion. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the store to do my monthly shopping and saw the Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Jerky in the clearance section for half off! I thought it was a good time to buy it and review it. I am not sure if it tastes like non-vegan jerky or even compares to it since I have never had it, but I can give an overall review of the product. 

        The Gardein Ultimate Plant-Based Jerky is approximately $5.99 and I was able to purchase it at Kroger. It is made out of a meat replacer called seitan which gives it a stringy texture similar to a steak. The bag has about 2 servings and is 80 calories, 600 milligrams of sodium, and 12 grams of protein per serving. It is definitely not an "everyday food" because of the high sodium content, but for a splurge vegan junk food item, it is fine to have. The flavor is very good; it is a little salty, but I believe that is a normal quality of jerky. It has a kick to it which I was a little surprised of because it was the original flavor. It is chewy and reminds me of a dried steak. It was very good, and I would definitely repurchase it if it was on sale of course. I think this is a good snack to have on a road trip or just while watching a movie. I tend to snack while doing homework, and it was a perfect snack for that time. The brand also has two other flavors: Teryaki and Hot & Spicy, which I have not tried and am unsure if I am willing to be brave enough to take the heat. There are many other types of vegan jerky that are made out of different ingredients, and I hope to try them soon. 

Websites used:

https://www.gardein.com/plant-based-jerky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vegan Snacks Part 3: Cookies

My Deal With Clearance

Vegan at Restaurants Part 1: IHOP